Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Necessarily Deliciousness

So...

I was just thinking about something that I am going to make for a friend of mine that helped me out this weekend.  She requested Chocolate Caramel Bars and I have been debating if I should share this recipe, or be a selfish hoarder and keep it to myself.  I decided it was really weird to be so protective and creepy to be so obsessed with a treat.  But really...I have problems letting my baby out into the world.  Here goes nothing.

But first, a little background for you.  I got this recipe when I was 19.  It was in...get this...The Essential Mormon Cookbook.  Cheesy as all get-out right?  I thought I would make them in the morning and then take them to class.  Then, because this was before everyone texted (makes me sound so old), my friend Kristi CALLED me.  People actually used to talk to each other on the phone!  Anyways...She was crying and said, "I'm not going anywhere today!"  I didn't go to class without her unless it was a life and death matter or if she promised we would go to Wendy's.  I'm a sucker.  I told her that I would come over and we could talk things over.

I got her a little plate of my newest found creation ready, and headed over.  I got there and she was just having lots of things go wrong.  Then I asked her, "What started all of this?  Why are you so sad?"  While I was asking her this, she took her first bite of a CCB.  She said, "Shut up.  Don't ask me anything.  Answer this:  Where did you buy these?"

I said, "Oh...I just made them this morning.  Why?  Are they gross?"

Side story:  I have this weird habit.  If I've never made it before I want people I love to try it first.  Not to torture them or anything.  Just a tradition, I suppose.

She said, "What are these?"

"They are called Chocolate Caramel Bars...for the Bishop.  Are they okay?"

"And YOU made these?"

"Yes.  Anyways, why are you having such a bad day today??"

Then it happened.  Honest to goodness.  She looked at me and smiled and said, "I can't even remember why I was having a bad day.  These are delicious!"

I said, "Holy crap...I gotta try one!"

"UH...NO!  This in MY plate.  Get your own!"

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I took some later to my friend Dusty's house for his birthday.  His wife called me an hour later and said, "I ate most of those treats.  Can you give me the recipe so he doesn't know?"  HAHA

After that, I went home immediately and tried one.  The results are horrifyingly good.  Okay...maybe I"m over selling them.  But not really.  You know that quote "Absence makes the heart grow fonder"?  Well...I haven't made these in six months and I might die of happiness today just thinking of making them.

Weird.

Abnormal.

Obsessed.

So I took more over for his birthday and we ate and drank so much milk with them I thought I was going to be sick.  But it turns out, I was just sick about how much I love them.

I'm a freak.

So, here is a piece of my heart and soul.

Chocolate Caramel Bars
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the crap out of a 9x13 pan.  
Brace yourself.

Mix in a medium bowl:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Smush (that's right) half of this sticky mixture into the 9x13 pan.  Throw or gently place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

Now for the caramel mix:

Melt together on LOW heat stirring constantly:  (Don't you dare let it sit, or it will burn and be gross and hard to clean.)
14 oz bag caramels, unwrapped (this part is super annoying, unwrap all of the caramels found in a 14 oz bag.  Don't eat them.  Just unwrap them.  Don't leave them wrapped.  If you do that I just don't know what to tell you.)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream  (if you are poor like I have been, milk is fine too.  It will be thinner, but its not a big deal.)

Once that is done melting, your sticky mix in the oven should be about ready to come out.  Take it out and pour caramel mix on top.  Then, sprinkle (that's right) a 12 oz bag of MILK chocolate chips over the caramel.  Finally, carefully place the rest of the sticky mix on top.  Throw it back in the oven, bake for another 10-15 minutes and relax.  You will need to let it cool for about 20 minutes unless you want to burn your tongue to the point of inhuman pain.

The final requirement is milk.  Delicious with the bars and makes you feel like at least you are getting your calcium in...

Or something like that.

I could eat the entire pan.  But instead, I like to think of who has been best to me recently and shower them with baked goods.

And like I said, I just might die of happiness thinking of them.

Happy trails to you.

Janalee


4 comments:

  1. This sounds BOMB! (is it okay I'm trying to bring that back) but I have this thing where before I bake anything on my own I must try somebody else's like an example first (hint hint wink wink)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh...guess what? I have been saying BOMB lately too. Which proves to me that you and I should hang out all the time. I must bring some by this weekend :) I got the hint :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bookmarking this page! Thank you!!! Also, have you ever made them with a darker chocolate? Or know anyone who has? thoughts or feedback? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D You are so sweet. No, I'm mostly a milk chocolate girl, but I think anytime you mix chocolate and carmel, you win.

      Delete